Accident and Injury Compensation Claims for Children
Welcome to the Children's Accident Helpline. We specialise in child injury claims for accidents involving children including playground negligence claims, children's medical negligence and child school accident claims. Our solicitors operate solely on a no-win-no-fee* basis. If your claim is successful you will receive a compensation award but if not, it won't cost you a penny!
School and Playground negligence claims
All parents know that children can be prone to accidental injuries as they are growing up which is why we are so protective of them when they are in our care. Few parents will not have had a feeling of trepidation on their child's first day at nursery or school, when their care is handed over to someone else and we are no longer in control. We would like to say that this anxiety is misplaced but it's a fact that in the past 5 years, £3.3 million has been awarded in child injury compensation for injuries that have been sustained in schools and playgrounds, according to figures released under the Freedom of Information Act. These child injury claims include:
- Broken bones
- Severed fingers
- Harm caused by running into barbed wire
- Damage from falls in snow and ice
- Injuries sustained from unsafe playground and PE equipment
- Climbing frame and rope swing accidents
Responsibility of parents to make a child injury claim
As parents, it is your duty to make a child injury claim if your child has had any accident that you consider was not their fault, not only to be compensated but also to prevent other children sustaining injuries due to someone else's carelessness.
Many of the accidents that occur in nurseries and schools are avoidable with effective management of Health and Safety within the education sector. It's clear that teachers and managers of schools would benefit from specialist training in Health and Safety. Recognising potential hazards and risks to children in their care plays a large part in preventing accidents from happening.
Children's medical negligence claims
Mistakes in medical care are currently costing the NHS £2.5 billion per year with a high percentage of children's medical negligence claims contributing to this astounding expenditure. Our specialist medical negligence child injury lawyers can claim compensation for injuries caused by any of the following:
- Errors made during a complicated or difficult labour
- Failure to monitor high risk pregnancies resulting in birth complications and/or foetal disabilities
- Scan or test results that have been misinterpreted
- Surgery or treatment delays due to late referral
- Incorrect diagnosis of disease, injuries or other conditions
- Prescriptions for incorrect medication or dosage
- Failure to update a child's medical records
- Mistakes made during child surgery or investigative procedure
- Failure to explain fully, in an understandable way, the risks of surgery or other procedure
- Failure to explain properly the side effects of medication
- Infection due to contamination in a hospital
- Failure to isolate a patient suffering from C diff, MRSA or other relevant infection
- Misdiagnosis of a tumour or other form of cancer
- Malpractice leading to the death of a child
Dog Bite Claims
If your child is unlucky enough to be bitten by a dog, the damage cause can in some case be quite severe. These injuries can last a life time, which is why it is important to make a claim for any pain and suffering that you endure. These type of incidents can occur anywhere but in most cases will happen in park areas, where dogs will usually be with their owner. Whilst it will not always be your first thought when your child is injured, it is vital to obtain the contact details of the dog owner and if possible taken photographs of the dog in question and the owner.
In the event that your child is injured by a dog it may be possible to pursue a claim against the owner of the dog. That owner has a responsibility to ensure that their pet is well behaved and not a danger to other people. If their pet causes injury to another person, this would give rise to a claim for compensation.
Thousands of serious injuries are caused to children in Britain, with an estimated 1 million children injured every year, due to traffic and public play area accidents not to mention malicious attacks. Simply complete and submit our online claim form to make a child injury compensation claim or call us on 0800 433 7690 for free advice about your particular problem.
*Other costs could be payable.